Classes

Saturday 22 April 2017

Chocolate, Pirates, and Planet Earth


Now that the Easter chocolate coma (Cadbury Creme and Mini Eggs are supreme) has come to an end, I suppose I should get back to posting.  It certainly wasn't my intention to take this much of a rest from blogging.  However, the combination of submitting report card marks, the much-needed arrival of Easter break, and a potent bout of stomach flu that made its way through half of my family provided more than a few distractions.

There are a few things that I want to touch base on.


Takeaways from 'Teach Like A Pirate'

This was one of those reads that I actually devoured pretty quickly.  I had seen the book before and was really hoping to come across some strategies that would help me to develop greater student engagement.  Every teacher knows that this is important, so just what exactly could Mr. Burgess offer?

I suppose that the biggest thing that I liked about this book was the reminder to let loose and have more fun in my classroom.  A lot of the teachers that I remember the most fondly are those that weren't afraid to be themselves and showcase their own personality and strengths for their students.  I've taken liberties to steal adapt a lot of favourite lessons and activities that I enjoyed with the hopes of being able to capture and recreate the sense of fun that I once had.

It's all too easy to get caught up in all the professional expectations that come with the job... report cards, meetings, grading, meetings, parent contact and outreach, and meetings all come to mind.  This can be a tremendous drain on my enthusiasm and if I'm being honest, I feel more 'tired' after nearly a decade of teaching and don't always feel like I want to put myself out there.  It's just too hard.  Reading TLAP, though, reminded me of why I got into the profession in the first place: I wanted to have a positive impact on the learning of my students.  I am way more likely to have those moments when I can bring my own unique brand of humour and excitement to what I do.  I may not do it exactly as Dave Burgess might do, or any other colleague for that matter.  But that's the whole point... there is a whole outlook on learning and fun that is totally unique to me.  I can focus on that a bit more.


When it comes to actual strategies that I can start using today, the most important thing that I took from the book has to do with using 'presentational hooks'... the key questions that I can ask myself when planning and coming up with lessons and activities.  Burgess provides a good sampling of the kinds of questions that I hadn't really been taking the time to think about in my own practice.  Examples are conveniently broken up into seven different sections that seek to address the different learning styles and interests of students.  Some favourite examples include:
  • How can I incorporate movement into this lesson?
  • Where would be the best place(s) on campus to deliver this content?
  • How can I most effectively use music as they enter the room?
  • What can my students make that relates to the material?
  • And many, many more...
I have to focus quite a bit on what I'm expected to teach.  Like many others in the profession, there is always that feeling that I can't stray too far from stated outcomes and objectives.  However, taking a minute to think about some of these types of questions has already helped to make things a bit more meaningful in the limited time since I read the book.  I'm not just looking at content delivery, but taking a more active approach to consider student engagement.

I look forward to seeing more growth in this area.


Planet Earth II

I can still remember sitting with my parents and siblings in a crowded living room in Edmonton watching the first Planet Earth.  Even before the days of High-Definition and Blu-Ray, all of couldn't help but be amazed at the beauty and wonder of this tiny blue planet.  It was a series that had me uttering frequent wows and left a big impression on me.  It was only natural that I would grab the sequel as soon as I saw it in stores.  Only this time I would get to spoil myself just a little bit more with a larger HD television and improved sound system.

This was an impulse purchase in every possible way: I simply grabbed it as soon as I saw it and went on with my errands.  I had some nagging worries that it couldn't possibly be as good as the first but I can assure you that my fears were quickly put to rest.

The first segment we watched was on islands and there were more than a few moments that left us feeling pretty awestruck.

Like this clip.


I have one more segment to watch but I have once again been left very impressed by BBC to showcase our wonderful planet in such a way.  I highly recommend Planet Earth II for anyone who enjoyed the first series AND if you were one of were one of those who didn't get around to it.

Enjoy your weekend!

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment