Classes

Wednesday 5 April 2017

How to Approach Student Apathy, and What a Huge Nerd I Am...


After yesterday's inspirational post, I thought I would tackle something a bit more challenging: what to do when student's just don't seem to care.  I don't know a single teacher who doesn't encounter this in one way or another.  The reality is that we have a number of students who have either made the decision not to engage or no longer see the value in education.

It's important to remember that the reasons for this are as diverse as the students we are trying to reach.  Maybe the material just isn't exciting enough, or perhaps the student has other more important things on their mind from social concerns to troubles at home.  Whatever the reasons might be, this has become one of the most frustrating issues for me on both a personal and professional level.

I came across an article in the Washington Post that offered a few suggestions that I started to mull over a bit.  It begins with recognizing that "teachers are expected to combat apathy by continually finding new and innovative ways to reach students - through multimedia lessons, group work, games, alternative assessments or whatever it takes."  According to the author, "the real danger is that this way of thinking has shifted the responsibility of learning, and of caring about learning, from the student to the teacher."

So far so good, right?  Seeing the world as Principal Skinner can't be all bad, can it?


As a suggestion, the author offers two suggestions in order to see the much desired improvement:

  1. There is a need to change the conversation about education.  Teachers and policy makers should naturally strive to make improvements to instruction and assessment, but this also needs to include clarifying the role of students in their own learning.
  2. Teachers and parents need practical strategies to encourage students to take responsibility for their own education.  We need to help kids develop the habits and discipline that will lead to success.
This isn't anything I hadn't heard before and admittedly left me wanting for more.  Fortunately, the author provides at least one promising strategy that I have seen work: chunking.  At this time of year, I've already been involved in a number of conversations with students regarding their academic fate and it can be pretty overwhelming for some of these kids who have chosen to tune out most of the year.  The task of digging their way out of such a huge hole, though, is incredibly daunting and I can understand why some would still continue to 'take the zero' and give up.  Breaking the task into smaller, more manageable steps can certainly help to build a feeling of accomplishment.

While each student should be considered individually, here are a few other things that have helped me:
  • Always go back to the relationship piece.  This can be tough but it has always surprised me just how powerful a positive relationship can go to improving things.  Finding time to get out of the classroom for a bit and walking next to some of my more apathetic students only to ask them something... ANYTHING... about their plans for the weekend or where they got their new hat.  I don't always take the time to ask about their lives and having genuine interest in who they are has more often than not given me just enough energy to start turning things around.
  • Ending so-called 'lectures' on the upswing.  Maybe they deserve it but I can do better to remind myself that some of these kids hear the same things over and over at school and once they get home.  I will try to end one-on-one conversations with students on some sort of positive note.  "You haven't been doing your homework and you stole that phone from another student in the class.  These are problems with real consequences.  But... I think you are a leader in this class and people look to you more than you realize.  Let's try to use this energy a little bit differently.  What are some things that I can do to help with this?  
At a recent District PD, Dr. Jody Carrington told us that "every kid deserves a champion."  I know that I can keep this in mind a bit more regularly, and especially with some of my more challenging students.  Without knowing that someone is there for them, how can I possibly expect to care about anything I have to say?

What strategies have worked for you?  Feel free to leave your thoughts below.


Dungeons and Dragons

Back in February, I was watching the following video with my older boys:


And then we kept watching it.  I was honestly a little surprised at how quickly I soon found myself online making a bit of an order...


I even ended up taking my kids to the local Comic shop and buying them their own set of dice.  I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed with the whole thing, and certain distraction has probably pulled me away from my efforts to learn and understand game mechanics.

I'm hopeful that I can get a handle on things during the Easter Break (which can't come fast enough).  I may just have to report on my progress.

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment