Classes

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Blogging Challenge - Day 9

I'll keep the post brief because I fell behind again.  Something about this time of year... my own kids are in extracurricular activities, I've taken up a little bit of volleyball reffing, parent-teacher interviews and other preparations for report cards, and other demands.  This certainly isn't to say that I'm unique when compared to other teachers, or any other field for that matter.  However, this does mean that I need to work a little bit harder to get back into this habit.

I've struggled a little bit with today's topic: one of my most significant accomplishments that no one else knows about.  Contrary to what many might think of me today, I spent most of life as a pretty shy and reserved kid.  I didn't like to put myself in any situation that would be potentially embarrassing so I largely kept to myself.  I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure that I was doing what I was supposed to be doing because that was easier for me than dealing with any potential fallout from letting others down.

After 7 years of teaching, I like to think that I'm still a pretty modest individual.  I know that there are things that I do well but that is readily and easily tempered by the recognition that I have a lot more to do.  Consistency, and not just in blogging, comes to mind among other areas.

All that being said, without going into details, I will say that what most seems to fit the bill for today's topic are the moments when I get the chance to work one-on-one with students who are really struggling.  I know the feeling well, when you've put off a needed conversation for far too long and need to face the inevitable.  There have been many who have finally come to visit with me after school away from the forces of peer pressure.  Here they can be a little more honest with themselves as they recognize that they need to be doing something different.  They are open to being taught and together we can come up with a plan to help them move forward.

Whether it's for help on an essay, going over a failed exam, getting caught up on a plethora of late and incomplete homework, or trying to cope with the difficult circumstances that they have then found themselves in, it is perhaps these moments that I have been most proud of.  There really isn't much to it, other than a genuine desire to improve and sincere effort to move forward.

Simple, rambling thoughts to be sure, but will at least meet the requirement for now.

Now... back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment