Classes

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Blogging Challenge - Day 7


Been missing for a few days, so here's a quick breakdown of the past few days.  I helped to supervise the first junior high dance of the year this past Thursday.  As I pondered and reflected upon the deep, emotional journey of 'turning down' and popping, locking, and/or dropping (I'm told in that order), I was reminded of how old I'm becoming, or, at the very least, how old I'm feeling.  Out of sheer curiosity I downloaded a free sound-meter and discovered that we were regularly hearing in excess of 100db: a level similar to that found in the use of chain saws and jack hammers.  I was even asked by a few students if I liked this kind of music.  It isn't.  But, it's nice to see the kids having fun.

On Friday, I was feeling a little bit off and could sense that another one of my colds was coming along.  Sure enough, I woke up Saturday morning sounding like death and with stubborn sinuses: the dreaded Man Cold had returned.


This did give me some time to think about today's topic, which has been appreciated as it isn't an easy thing to identify.  I've been fortunate to work with and learn from some truly amazing colleagues and friends.  It has been something that has enhanced my life, let alone my teaching practice.  While I can't possibly acknowledge every single one in this space, one that stands out to me at this time is Mr. Ripkens, whom I first met in my first year as a teacher in Slave Lake, Alberta.

More than anything else, this was a guy who offered me something that I really needed as I began my teaching.  Here I was in a new comunity I'd never heard of before I saw the job posting, and I had no clue what I was doing.  I was actually replacing a teacher who left quite suddenly after a few weeks on the job.  Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed.

When I had those moments where I felt completely and utterly over my head, Mr. Ripkens and I could grab some lunch, go out for wings, or just talk.  He was at the same stage in his career and he became someone that I could lean on to share concepts and ideas, refine lesson plans, and, most importantly, focus on myself when it was really needed.  I always had the support from home, and in many ways, Mr. Ripkens and I were very much the exact opposite of one another, but he became a great friend.  That makes those early years up north that much more memorable.

Seeing as how this post has been so delayed, I may have to leave it here and revisit the theme a bit later.

More to come.

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment