Classes

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Blogging Challenge - Day 6


Mentoring has often been one of those topics that is easy to understand on the surface, but difficult to truly recognize, let alone master.  For the sake of clarity, a quick Google search reveals that mentorship involves the sharing of wisdom and knowledge to someone of less experience.  Perhaps even more importantly, though, is that true mentorship occurs when someone is guiding another person.  This isn't a simple matter of giving instruction and turning the student loose.  To be a mentor means so much more: it means that both are active participants in the required learning.

Take the example shown above.  In "The Empire Strikes Back" (easily the best in the series), it showcases the continued desire of Luke Skywalker to become a Jedi.  He knows that this isn't knowledge he can just read from a book.  No.  Luke understands that he needs the guiding influence of a Jedi Master so he seeks him out.  As he begins his training, it is important to note that Yoda is with Luke nearly every step of the way, providing instruction, encouragement, and words of caution.  This is a clear example of what I would consider active mentorship.  Well... now I've got that out of my system.

When I reflect on my own life, I'm often overwhelmed at just how many true mentors have been a part of it, even especially when I didn't recognize it.  My thoughts often turn to my dad, a man who worked hard at his career and really tried to maximize the time he had with us as a family in his time off.

Apologies in advance for the grainy quality of the following pictures:

Dad and I fishing near Elkwater

Enjoying some Christmas presents

While I was looking for a few examples in the old photo album, I also remembered playing basketball as a kid.  My dad loves sports and he tried to pass that love on to each of us, along with the sense of dedication that would be required to succeed.  I can remember many nights where I would finish a game or practice and, after everyone else left, he would have me practice shooting, my lay-ups, or some other skill that he felt needed some work.  I can remember hating it some nights... a lot of the time I just wanted to get home to bed and I had already done enough.  However, with time I began to understand that it wasn't ideal to just do enough: I needed to push myself and I needed to take things further than I was often willing to go.

Now as a teacher, I'm faced with the daily challenge of motivating my students, and myself, to go beyond what is merely acceptable.  I need to push myself to go beyond simply going through the content, which can be relatively easy.  Teaching needs to be much more than just giving them the answers and turning them loose on the next grade.  If we are to be mentors, we need to get involved.  We need to get right in the middle of the action and participate in what our students are doing.

This is much easier said than done.  Everyone has their bad days.  There are times when, like many others in my profession, I just want to hide behind my desk and will those minutes to go by faster.  There are times when I am not as patient as I need to be with every single student.  And, perhaps, more often than I should, I simply do enough.  It isn't that I don't work hard at my job but I need to remember in those moments that teaching shouldn't just be about me: it should ultimately be focused on my students.

Earlier when I discussed what I love so much about teaching, upon further reflection I now realize that those treasured experiences that I enjoy so deeply are when I am being a mentor and more than just a teacher.  That isn't to say that teaching in any way is lessened when that ideal is not reached, but it reminds me of why I got into this in the first place, and what I need to commit to keep reaching for.  In many ways, it puts me right back in that empty gymnasium all those years ago.  Try and try again.

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment