Classes

Thursday 18 September 2014

Scotland Decides


As a political junkie, I often find myself drawn to certain pivotal moments in citizen engagement and democracy.  The Scottish Referendum did not initially catch more than a passing interest when it was first announced in March 2013.  I remember glancing through the proposals detailing what Scottish independence would look like.  Some ideas seemed reasonable enough and yet my own observations of politics in Quebec led me to predict that this would not amount to anything too drastic.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when polls started to show the 'Yes' campaign closing the gap, and even taking a lead, and my passing interest developed into something more substantial.  For reasons I don't fully understand and appreciate, I began to feel that so-called momentum of history.  This began to feel like one of those moments that would really leave an impression.

As it is, I'm having a hard time writing and keeping my thoughts straight as the results have been coming in so quickly.  Just for reference, here's where the totals currently stand as of 9:32 pm (graphics courtesy of BBC News):


I'm going to have to take a break and have some final thoughts when all this settles down.

UPDATE 9:45 pm:  The momentum continues.



UPDATE 9:57 pm:  I don't see things changing with the 9 polls that remain.  BBC seems about ready to call it.


~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment