Classes

Monday 22 September 2014

Blogging Challenge - Day 5

When was the last time you got this excited to see a classroom?

Today we get to spend a little bit of time looking at the wonder that is my classroom.  I suppose that I shouldn't be trying to sound sarcastic... but sometimes it isn't always the easiest thing to get worked up about.  It is, at the core, just a classroom, and I've never been the kind of person of person to get too worked up over appearances.  That being said, when I really consider that this is likely going to be a room that I'll be spending a fair amount of time in over the course of my career, I might want to start putting a bit more thought into how things look.

Random Thought: While typing that last paragraph, my mind started wondering just how much time I actually will spend in that room.  Assuming no room changes over the next 33 years (and retirement at 65), a rough calculation reveals that my classroom and I will be well acquainted for around 1785 days... nearly 5 total years of my life!  Interesting.

Without any further ado, I present my classroom.


Like I said.  Nothing too fancy.  Normally, the desks would be in pods of four, however, my homeroom has been doing some testing over the past week and I haven't really felt like moving everything back and forth.  As for the general decor, I have flags!  I need to credit former colleagues at RMSS in Slave Lake for pushing the idea for our social department.  The walls are pretty empty being early in the semester.  Work from students will gradually occupy the space as the year progresses.


I'm not really sure why, but for some reason, I've been hesitant to effectively utilize my shelf space.  Most of what's there now was there when I received this room assignment and I haven't exactly been thrilled at the prospect of going through someone else's work clutter.  While I've organized a few of my texts from University (to look impressive) and alphabetized my movie collection, I've mostly steered clear of this space.  I know that needs to change, but it becomes 'one-more-thing' to do in my already busy schedule so I let it slide.

Nathan Drake, Ganondorf, and Batman.  So cool.

Those who know me well understand that I'm a geek at heart.  Like the flags, things like this add to the personality of the room.  I really feel that these are the types of things that students remember when they think about their time in a classroom.  I couldn't tell you much about what I learned in high school physics, but I remember the teacher's Tesla Coil and other displays.  I'm often on the lookout for other little things that reflect me and who I am.  It has often been the conversation starter for many-a-student as we try to build a productive and comfortable relationship.


And then there's my desk.  I often gravitate towards a state of organized-chaos over the semester: I don't always know exactly where something is, but I know it's somewhere on my desk.  I'm making it a goal to keep things more tidy this year.  I have a few other things to personalize this space: family photos, movie posters, my Star Wars calendar, and other mementos shared with me from current and former students.  Again, this can be another conversation starter.  I've tried to avoid making my desk an intimidating space: I want students to be able to approach me.

When I look at these photos, there are a few things I'd love to see.  A condensed wishlist would include:
  •  Computer / Chromebook Workstations.  This would be super helpful for those moments when students forgot to 'Share' their work, or have some extra time to work on their research projects without needing access to the lab
  • Dedicated Reading Space.  I would love to not only have a thorough and varied book section right in my room, but a small area with a comfy chair or two where students could work or read.  This, for me, encourages the idea of doing more than simply reaching for that phone at the first opportunity.
  • Tables.  Maybe it's picky but I would prefer to have small tables instead of desks.  I think the benefits far outweigh the challenges (test-taking comes to mind... an issue but workable).
Together, these relatively small cosmetic changes would help to foster the kind of learning environment I would love to work in.  A place where cooperation is fostered, where individual pursuits are a bit more encouraged, and where students can a lot less afraid to approach their teachers because they know a bit more about them.

Until the budgeting gods smile a bit more fortuitously on me, I suppose I should really should get back to that shelf, though.

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment