Classes

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Blogging Challenge - Day 2

Image Courtesy of goo.gl/oHxkVb 

I've written before about the value of technology in our society, and of the growing importance it has in the classroom.  I like to think like I'm somewhat up to date with the curve on the kinds of ideas that are out there, but the truth is that it can be pretty overwhelming to keep up with.  All too often, I've been excited to try something new only to come crashing down when I haven't had the time to fully implement it when confronted with something else even more new.  The 'new-new' in Ed Tech is no exception.

That being said, I love being able to get excited about stuff... that enthusiasm is never a bad thing in this profession.  I'm very anxious to experiment with Google Classroom and have been really impressed with what I've seen so far.  Here's a little video that gives a nice overview for what the program can offer.


What I like most about this is just how streamlined this makes a lot of the activities that I want to do.  Looking at a standard essay as an example, in the past I would have had to print off hard copies of the topic, arrange for required lab time, collect any and all work printed off by students, grade them (either at work or even at home), and hand them back.  Classroom eliminates a lot of the 'tracking down' that I need to do.  I can achieve almost everything through this one program.  I can even provide feedback on student work before it is completed and handed in.  The only challenge that often remains is getting lab time, but the accessibility of these apps from any internet device lessens that need.  All in all, I really feel that this gives me more time to focus on my students and a lot less on the process of merely completing work.

More to come.

~Mr.T

No comments:

Post a Comment