Classes

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Blogging Challenge


Once again, we have reached the point where I introduce my students to the wonderful world of blogging.  Of course that usually means that I have to explain what a blog even is.


Naturally, that also reminds me of the need to get back into the habit myself.  Inspired by student enthusiasm and the efforts of some of my colleagues, I have come across this 30-Day Blogging Challenge.  As I've recently encountered with some of my personal fitness, I HAVE to have something to work towards that is specific.  I couldn't just say I will no longer be fat... although that would be nice.  Instead, I had to be more direct: I will get into the gym every school day and do cardio.  I'm getting the sense that blogging will need to be one of those areas that require something more concerted.


So. For Day One I will write a little bit about my goals for the year.  Here are a few key things that stand out:

1.  Technology.  This, for me, is a big one.  I love spending time online and with colleagues and friends looking at things that are cool.  The challenge is finding to way to use technology effectively.  Our district has focused a lot on using Google's architecture to facilitate greater collaboration and increase the ease with which we can accomplish our goals.  This year introduces Google Classroom, which I really like and am excited to play with.


I want to ensure that I'm not just using technology just for technology's sake.  There needs to be a purpose and a measurable way to observe and note student progress toward digital outcomes.  My goal is to make sure that when I use an app, be it Socrative, Remind, or Google's suite of tools, there needs to be a reason beyond the simple wow factor.

2.  Kagan.  Our district has also spent a great deal of time and effort looking into the Kagan philosophy of cooperative learning.  I will admit that a good amount of my teaching and instruction is quite teacher centered... I've often fallen into the trap of assuming that I have a more direct role in helping my students to understand what is needed, especially in a subject as content-driven as Social Studies.  Kagan embraces the idea that students benefit more by working together and relying a lot less on the 'sage on the stage' approach that many of us have grown so accustomed to.  My goal is to play with some of the strategies in my big ol' book, to refine them, and make them part of my normal teaching practice.  This may mean that I fall on my face more often than I would like, but if it means that my students are a bit more engaged in what they are doing, it will be well worth the price of admission.


There you have it.  A bit of insight into what I'll be working on this year, and a roadmap to what I hope to showcase through this blog.  Should be a good year...  now for the next 29 days of blogging.

~MrT


No comments:

Post a Comment