Classes

Monday 4 February 2013

Blogging: More than just Facebook 2.0

Barring crazy lab-scheduling, many of the students today were able to (finally) get their accounts up and running.  I appreciate your willingness to try something different.

My hope for students this semester is to be able to complete and present more of their projects online.  In my mind, your Google account already provides the ideal venue through Blogger mainly because the account it already set up.  The intent is to have you submit and display some of your work through this venue.  This will allow you to bring together different forms of media with relative ease.  More details will be forthcoming over the coming days and weeks.

Kudos to those who were prepared for their quizzes.  Each class was told to prepare for daily quizzes as a quick learning check to see if content has been understood and if you are doing your part in learning the material.  These quizzes, while not necessarily an integral part of your overall grade, give me an idea about where you stand and will be reviewed on a frequent basis.  I will do my part to provide fair notice but this is something that each of you must do on your own.

I suppose it's time to invite each of you to begin delving into the world of current events.  It should come as no surprise that I LOVE to talk about what's happening around the world.  There is always something happening somewhere... this is the beauty of social studies.  I would suggest that you take 5 or 10 minutes on a daily basis a look at a story or two.  Follow the links in the sidebar, open a newspaper, or watch a few minutes of a newscast.  Current events add relevance and meaning to what can be dry content.  Please be prepared to bring something to talk about.

All in all, I like the way that things are taking shape and I am excited about the possibilities this semester.  Thanks for an uncommonly good Monday.

~Mr. T

No comments:

Post a Comment