Classes

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Why Technology?

Today was one of those days that actually make me feel like I've done my job as an educator.  Students were given a list of tasks to accomplish, you went to work, you were challenged, and you largely overcame. Not you, though, Grade 9s... you went to a Pep Rally.   I guess that counts, too...  ;)

In any case, to the Grade 10s who spent the day in the lab, I can't thank you enough for the effort you put into trying something new.  As a sign of my appreciation, here's what I'm going to propose... and yes, this will apply to the Grade 9s, too:



  • the toolset given to you through your Google Accounts (shown above) will now be the basis for a lot of the work you'll do through the semester; the more you use it, the easier it will be for everyone
  • today, you were asked to setup an account with Symbaloo... the main purpose of this is to easily allow you to collect and have access to a wide variety of tools that you can use over the next few months

  • instead of overwhelming you with a bunch of new ideas every couple of days, I'll simply provide access to them via my own webmix which in turn, becomes available to you; let me know if you haven't yet been able to find this on Symbaloo and I can get you set up
I was able to talk with a few students who were absolutely committed to not using some applications and programs.  This goes for everyone... I appreciate that they can even bring their objections to my attention and explain why they have concerns.  I want to reiterate here what I've said to some of them: I don't expect anyone to have to like and become a lifelong user of any of the stuff we'll work with in class.  I have little control over how you use these tools outside of my classroom and it would not be reasonable for my to impose more than is necessary on your already busy lives.  

I remain committed to finding ways to effectively using technology as a way to enhance learning in the classroom.  I feel that you need to learn how to become more competent and confident with these kinds of programs as our world continues to embrace more portability and greater accessibility.  If we try something, and it doesn't work, we move on... no harm done.

Google and Symbaloo: the two hubs of your semester in Social Studies.  We'll make it work just fine.

~Mr. T


No comments:

Post a Comment